Saturday, March 8, 2014

Weekly Wrap-Up : Lessons Learned


A cup of coffee, and dreams of writing copy before I was a copywriter
The early days, before I dove into the writing world's UnSagrada Familia...


The copywriting world is a wild one.

Writers always looking for an edge. Marketers always looking for an advantage. Spiders always looking for a match.

I entered this crazy world, in earnest, about four months ago in an office apartment in Barcelona.

My boss, a veteran in the Barcelona tour guide business, hired me on to write copy for his new website. More than 150 written pages of copy, to be exact.

When I started with him, I was as green as you could get in the SEO landscape. My only perception of copywriting was this: the field ruins the art of writing because it knocks artistry off the winner's podium and crams a greasy, half-drunk uncle in its place.

I've realized that turning that greasy, half-drunk copywriting uncle into a pristine first-page angel is an art in itself.

Some bastardize that art. You know who I'm talking about, Cram-a-bunch-of-keywords-into-the-bottom-of-the-page-in-a-font-that-blends-in-with-your-background-image guy.

Beware, Page-redirect-for-the-sake-of-false-site-visits guy.

And let's not even begin with I've-got-four-different-websites-with-almost-the-exact-same-copy-and-keywords guy.

These dark arts give a bad name to the business. My mission is a to give the business a good name, and make a few bucks while I'm at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment